Sunday, March 26, 2006

Douglas John Hall

On Friday night, I went up to the lecture at St. Jerome's, which is a catholic college connected to the University of Waterloo. The lecture was free, and featured Douglas John Hall, who is perhaps the leading most respected theological scholar in Canada. He has won just about every honour there is, including the Order of Canada.
He is in his seventies, and I did not know if this opportunity would ever present itself in my lifetime again, so I dragged my exhausted self up there.

For a really good outline of what he had to say, go to: http://dancingwiththespirit.blogspot.com/ dated Friday, March 24, 2006. That's my good friend and heart-sister Sara's blog.

I was too tired to be as excited as I ought to have been, but I'm glad I went. He has a marvelous lecture style, very eloquent and elegant and yet accessible. Very classy.
His message was profoundly "Swedenborgian," if one can claim such a thing of someone who read Swedenborg "many years ago" and is . . . uh . . . United?
It is deeply exciting to find a message such as his being spoken to the broad Christian audience, and being heard and applauded. The Second Coming is happening like light growing at the dawn. The Lord is managing it, with or without various Swedenborgians' tiny and frequently misguided efforts.

I strongly recommend picking up a copy of D. J. Hall's "Why Christian?"
If you have read it, I'd love to hear from you! I'd love to discuss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment