Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Constant Change


I am pondering the emotional impact of the constant change in my life.  
Yet another familiar hang-out is closing (or moving, or renovating beyond recognition) and it hit me as a loss.  Enough changes already!
Has the pace of change in Western culture accelerated to a challenging rate even for younger minds and spirits, or am I just getting old?  I can't tell. Today I just feel tired of the constant changes and accumulated losses.  

I was thinking about this as I drove home from getting groceries. Spontaneously a song from a favourite artist began to play in my head. It was exactly on topic and brought some comfort.  (It seems God, or the angels, or whatever higher power you might want to name often speaks to me through music.  Funny thing about that.)

So here are the lyrics for your perusal.  I wish I could play you the song.  It has a mellow, rumba-like rhythm.

 Reality    Linda Worster, from the album "Moment by Moment"

1.                  Everything changes.  Earth and water, fire and air rearranges.
There is a universe in you and me
It=s created and set free
Each of us is wholly a part of the One

2.                  Everything matters.  Nature rebuilds as she shatters.
There is no way to resist.
She will not yield to your tightened fist.
Relax.  Don=t insist you find the only way. 
  
Nothing is different, but everything changes
All things are one but the mind sees the many   
And creation is perfect the way that I see, and the way that I don=t see. 

No matter what happens, salvation or sin
Nothing is separate, and all is within
It all depends on what you see.  Moment by moment you create reality 

3.                  Everything spins and swirls
The universe twists and twirls.
All of form is motionsCwaves upon oceans.
Only our notions keep us trapped and afraid.

Nothing is different, but everything changes
All things are one but the mind sees the many
And creation is perfect the way that I see and the way that I don=t see

No matter what happens, salvation or sin                                                                      
Nothing is separate, and all is within   
It all depends on what you see.  Moment by moment you create reality

           Whatever that is, you create it: reality.....

"There is no way to resist. She will not yield to your tightened fist.  Relax."

There it is.  I am in resistance to the changes.  Though I pride myself in my adaptability, I am increasingly resisting the changes life is bringing now.  I must learn relaxation in the face of the inevitable changes.  I suspect it is not uncommon to resist change as we get older.  I now understand what I judged in my elders before.  I judged that resistance.  Now I am in it.  I have had my fill of losses.  Enough already.  So I am increasingly dwelling on the sadness and nostalgia for what has been lost rather than seeing and rejoicing in the potential for new life and growth.  

So I get it now.  I understand being tired of new things.  I am wanting more permanence.  I am just not as emotionally spry as I used to be.  (Goodness, you would think I was eighty, not fifty!)

Anyway, I guess I need to find some sort of emotional yoga---I need a way to recover my emotional flexibility, balance, and sprightliness.  I want to regain my willingness to step up to life.  And since I have the sneaking suspicion that the changes aren't going to stop coming, I must find a way to relax and stop resisting.  I must find a way to continue to adapt.  

Emotional yoga....  Any ideas? 

With love,
Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment