Saturday, January 28, 2006

Another Dream

I had a dream last night.
I was outside the seminary chapel, about to go in so I could set up for chapel.
When I opened the door, all the furniture was gone---no pews, no pulpits---nothing. Just an organ console in one back corner and a low platform in another. The ceiling was only eight feet, and the front wall was drywall, with tape and nails and stuff.

I felt awful, wondering what had happened and how I was going to put on worship in there without any of the furniture.

Then I was in the same room, only it was now a room in a large church, and I was a leader or assistant pastor of some sort. Now I was setting up the room as an overnight shelter for homeless people, with a bunch of friends and church members. We were putting mattresses out on the floor and finding sheets and pillows.

Then it became church members who were needing shelter, as if there had been a natural disaster. I was stepping around and over mattresses and supplies, talking to people, helping kids find their parents, and directing volunteers. It was busy and a little urgent feeling, but going okay. I felt very focussed and present, and only slightly frazzled. By then, I was the pastor in charge. I think I was male. You know how dreams are.

Some of the volunteers brought me some broken bits of baseboard with nails sticking out of them. They were water-stained and soggy. It meant that we had another (somehow I knew this) leak in the old building. I was too busy to worry about it just then. I went scouting for supplies for the people, thinking to keep an eye peeled for where the water was getting in.

I found Lisa H. Cooper up on a ladder with her head and shoulders up through the attic hatch. She was handing down historic church documents. I stopped to talk to her, and while we were talking, I distinctly heard the sounds of fire up in the attic. I asked her to look. She saw nothing. I listened some more, and there was a definite snapping and roaring sound like the attic was consumed in flames. I realised then that it was a premonition---that this was going to to be real very soon, and everone was in danger.

So I had to run and tell everyone to get out. I felt uncomfortably foolish, because there was no fire. But I did it anyway.

Soon the roof really was on fire and people were scurrying to safety. There was no smoke or heat, just the sound and the knowledge. I kept searching through the building, trying to find people to get them out. There were women in the kitchen, trying to save the pots and pans. I found a crippled lady and was trying to lift her. She was tall and hefty. I ended up having her grab around my neck, and I leaned forward until her feet cleared the floor, and I struggled outside with her that way. I was all bent forward, and she was heavy, and I was trying to navigate stairs and hurry....

I woke up, knowing that the church was going to burn to the ground, but that all the people would get out safely. I remember thinking that at least it solved the leak problem....

No comments:

Post a Comment