Saturday, January 28, 2006

Preaching Like A Man

I just gave a great chapel talk in the shower. The question is, can I repeat it on Friday?
It's my turn to do chapel. It will be my first time to lead. I've led lots of worship services. It was my job as vice president of the church women's group. I guess I was allowed to do that because it was only women. The General Church (my childhood denomination) is coming up with more and more rules around women and worship. In one place, the Bishop has forbidden women to read aloud a sermon, even if a man has written it. In another, women are allowed to read from Swedenborg's writings, but not from the Old or New testaments.
Weird, if you ask me.
Primary school teachers have lead worship for the children for years in the schools.
Women have lead women at women's retreats and gatherings.
But now all these rules are being laid down.

As if we can't decide from our own consciences what is right.

So, tra-la! I'm leading chapel this Friday, because women do that equally with men here. Nobody has died yet, or rushed off into a craze, so far as I can tell. I'm watching carefully.

In the General Church there's this idea that a woman "who preaches like a man" will lose her femininity.
I wonder what that means? What does "preaching like a man" look like? There are lots of men I know that I wouldn't ever want to preach like. In fact, if preaching means, "I've got the truth and you'd better listen so you don't go to hell, and so all your wrong thinking can be improved," then that's the last thing I have any inclination to do. I'll give inspirational talks.

Maybe the church needs women who preach like women. For Balance!

In any case, Phil will be sure to let everybody know if I turn into a man.

Hmmm. Would that make us a homosexual couple? So, at that point, which would be more evil--- for us to get divorced, or to stay married?

Hmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment