Saturday, January 21, 2006

Weird Winter

It has been a weird winter. Usually by now I'm pretty sick of the bitter cold and dryness, and the grey-white chalky film all over the cars and roads.
But it has been ridiculously mild. We've had several days when I didn't need to do up my coat, and even a few when I didn't need a coat at all. I've barely needed my boots. It keeps raining and washing things clean and melting the snow.

It seems like all the seasons are skewed.
I've heard it said that global warming will not simply warm things up, but cause wild swings in temperature and more frequent storms. More floods, more extremes.

Well, if this really is our fault, eventually we're going to have to look at it....

I'm often encouraged by the return of the light this time of year. I try to take heart from it. It is still (supposedly) getting colder, yet the darkest time is well past and it is brighter every day. Of course, we can't tell that when it is relentlessly overcast. But I certainly noticed this morning how light it was when I got up. Bright sun this morning. I felt almost perky.

Many folks love the seasons. They come and go and come and go.... It is so strange that the hottest days are well after the longest day---when the earth is already turning away---and the coldest days are well after the shortest day---when the earth is already turning back.
The heat and light are out of synch.

I'm sure there's a metaphor in there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment